I love bergamot, and don’t these look amazing? Although I rarely bake treats, these shortbread cookies from The Kitchn are going on the list.
-1 c. all purpose flour
-1/4 c. sugar
-1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
-1 Tbsp. Earl Grey tea leaves (the pulverized stuff from a basic tea bag is perfect, you want finely ground tea)
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
-1 tsp. water
-1/2 c. unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Pulse together all dry ingredients in a food processor until the tea leaves are well ground.
3. Add vanilla, water, and butter to food processor. Pulse together until a dough forms.
4. Shape the dough into a log onto a piece of wax or parchment paper. Wrap the paper around and roll the log smooth. Chill for at least 30 minutes.*
5. When chilled, slice the log into 1/3 inch thick pieces. Place on baking sheets and bake until the edges are just brown, about 12 min.
6. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
Photo and recipe credit: Faith Durand.
*I’d love to know how they got these dainty floral shapes by “roll[ing] the log smooth.”