I love savory food for breakfast, especially when someone else cooks it. This morning my husband hit it out of the park with skillet-fried mashed potato pancakes. They were awesome—fluffy, crispy, and golden all over. Two bites in, I was already insisting he transcribe the recipe to share with you.
-2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk, butter, salt and pepper)
-2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 Tbsp fried onion toping, crushed (such as Durkee)
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
-1/4 tsp. bay leaf powder
-pinch of rosemary
-pinch of dried chili flakes
1. Blend all ingredients except potatoes in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in mashed potatoes.
3. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium-high.
4. Spoon potato mixture into pan in 1/3 c. amounts and flatten with a spatula.
5. Flip when one side is golden brown and crispy, about 4 min. Keep warm while cooking remaining pancakes.
6. Serve hot with lingonberry jam or applesauce and sour cream.