I think I’ve found “The One.” This key lime tart might just be my dessert soul mate. Its sophisticated looks and great taste are irresistible. Although we had a whirlwind romance, this feels like true love. I can hardly believe I’ve found so many of my favorite flavors in one dessert. Cancel my Tastespotting subscription; I’m set. This is it.
Admittedly, I’ve always had a crush on key lime pie. The Libra in me is drawn to that perfect balance of tangy citrus and creamy custard. But add a scarlet ribbon of raspberry jam, and […sigh…] I go weak in the knees. Swap out the graham cracker crust for a crumbly pistachio-butter-cookie base, and I start thinking maybe you can have it all. This tart? It’s the whole package.
Man, I’ve got it bad. But what’s the use in fighting something that’s meant to be? Let’s fall in love!
Our next date? A delicious rendezvous after Easter dinner.
For the crust:
-4 Tbsp. melted butter, plus more for the pan
-2/3 c. roasted, shelled pistachios (salted is OK)
-5 oz. of butter cookies (I used German Butterkeks, which are not as oily as shortbread)
-1/4 c. sugar (I used raw/demerera)
For the filling:
-1/2 c. fresh-squeezed lime juice (preferably key lime juice, or the juice of 5-6 regular limes)
-2 egg yolks
-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
-6 Tbsp. best-quality raspberry jam (I used Den Gamle)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9-in. springform pan or pie plate with butter. (An 8×8-in. square pan would also work.)
2. In a blender or food processor, finely grind the cookies and pistachios. In a medium bowl, mix with the melted butter and 1/4 c. sugar using your hands.
3. Press the crust mix into the prepared pan, going up 1 inch on the sides. Bake 10 minutes or until golden.
4. While the crust is still warm, spread with 6 Tbsp. of raspberry jam, going to the edge. If the jam is too thick to spread easily, briefly microwave first. Chill the crust 10-15 minutes in the freezer.
5. Whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla, condensed milk, and lime juice. Spread over the chilled crust, being careful not to disturb the jam.
6. Bake 15-19 min. or until set (will jiggle slightly). Cool 30 minutes in the pan, then refrigerate 1 hr. before serving.
Let the love affair begin!